Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Online Interaction

Writing online can have interesting side effects. Last month I emailed someone in Malaysia and got an interesting email back. It was fascinating to discuss books and other things with someone so far away. This week I checked the guest book for one of my journals and had a note from someone in Austria!

Like many people I toil away alone at my computer and expect no feedback. I have to write for myself before I write for an audience. I try to explain why I write online to people who don't and get weird looks. This doesn't surprise me. Not everyone has to share my passions. That's why an unsolicited comment or an answered email is thrilling.

The Internet allows people to feel part of a community even when they are physically or socially isolated. This is a concept that we understand intellectually but learn emotionally.

No comments: