Monday, September 06, 2004

Blogging For Luke 15

Some people are afraid to say they have faith or that they pray. They are afraid of being labelled 'religious' or 'afraid to face reality'.

Faith

Whether it is 'confident belief' or 'trusting acceptance' it is still faith. We believe in our families, our friends and in God. What we believe in isn't as important as the act of faith. We are letting go of fear and selfishness to believe in another, to trust another. Faith is an act of love.

Tonight I am using both of the definitions above. I have faith in Luke's spirit and will to live, the doctors and family's decisions, and in my ability to accept what happens. There is a time when we must say 'I have done what I can' and leave it to a higher power.

Prayer

People sometimes have trouble praying. They think it has to be done with certain words or in a certain way. Prayer is simply a reverent petition or request for aid. Sometimes we do it subconsciously when we are sick or troubled. When we are so torn inside or so desperate that we speak from the heart with our deity - that's when we are really praying. No rules; no demands; just a desire for help.

I admit that I pray. It usually comes about when I am very sick. Having nearly died of pneumonia I can understand the fear that arises when I am ill. Praying helps control that fear.

In my own way I am praying for Luke tonight. I believe the boy deserves a chance to live a full life. I have cheated death twice and I say that Luke should at least get one chance.

No comments: