Thursday, September 30, 2004

Firemind The Tourist

My life certainly has been different lately. Since Saturday I have spent from four to six hours a day wandering around taking pictures. Thursday was the only pictureless day. Four days, four rolls, and 96 pictures. Most of the pictures turned out okay.

There were two causes of this flurry of activity. The first stems from wanting to 'do something' with photography and art. The second stems from attending a funeral and thinking, 'If not now, when?'

As I wandered about I was struck by how familiar it felt. I hadn't been that busy doing nothing since... my last holiday. Sometimes we turn holidays into full time jobs. We have to see one more museum, drive one more mile, or visit one more relative. My body felt it was surviving a holiday.

I have been photographing architecture, animals, plants, and everything else that looks interesting. Playing tourist at home has been rough because of all the interesting things I have seen over the years. I relearned some interesting things: Victoria has hundreds of amazing sights and they can't be photographed at the same time because of light conditions. I am at the mercy of light.

Most of my pictures have been taken downtown between Blanshard and the Harbour, and between Fisgard and Belleville. The other main area is the northern part of James Bay. I took one roll of film between the Legislature (Parliament Buildings) and Fisherman's Wharf.

I will upload more pictures tonight and tomorrow.

No comments: