Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Spotlight On Phony Nowhere

Questions by Leon
Answers by Sam.

How did you get into blogging?
It was really my cousin, Lou. He showed me the ways of the world - the blogging world, that is. We started with this blog we did together called I Dislike Food. We posted about cartoons and stuff if I remember correctly.

You have had other blogs that you quit writing in. What makes Phony Nowhere different?
This one has more than one reader and more importantly, something that people will want to read about, and something they'll want to keep checking for - free, legal music and new bands.

Where does the blog's name come from?
A while back, I used to make avant-garde space rock with just one layer of guitar. Each song was about twelve seconds, but I was really proud of them. So, when at a creative loss, I would use this band name generator to come up with the song's title. I wanted the word 'penguin' in the title, so I put that in the search box, and voila - Captain Penguin and the Phony Nowhere. Unfortunately, the Captain Penguin part has kind of gotten forgotten, but if you look at some of my very first posts, I call myself by that title.

What motivates you to blog? What satisfaction do you get from it?
I love making people happy. I love getting comments that people like the songs I posted, and I love teaching people about new bands.

How do your parents feel about you blogging?
They don't mind, as they really aren't that into the internet world.

You don't blog about several aspects of your life. Why is that?
Like I said in one of your earlier questions, I try to post about what people want to hear. There are just some things in my life that neither I want to post nor the people want to hear. This could be the reason why when I do post about these things, I have no comments and I get reduced to a Flippery Fish in the TTLB Ecosystem!

The band interviews are an interesting part of PN. What made you decide to start interviewing?
I was at a low point here at Phony Nowhere, and I needed something to boost up my hits. Also, The Minor Thirds rock, and I was so excited about them when I found them.

What's with the 'Mix Wars' with Lou? Does each new album start another 'battle'?
Ah yes, the 'mix wars.' It is funny, really, because it is hard for one mix to be better than another, but my cousin and I have this undeniable talent of finding songs by our favorite bands that just work together. It is really something to watch the making of a mix. Lou and I have very different methods. Maybe one day we will give a mix tutorial.

You recently celebrated your 100th post at PN. How do you want the blog to develop? What plans do you have for the blog?
What plans do I have? If I told you that - why would you have to read it? Well, I can safely say that there will be more interviews, more contests, and many more new bands!

What is your favorite post so far?
I love all my posts! But, I really like my first post in August - something about ACDC in the title, I believe. The post was kind of like me saying to the reader(s) ( at that time I had very little) that I was no longer the Coldplay loving blogger they once knew in June. I was a new breed of blogger - the indie kind. It was kind of like that part in Grease at the carnival, when Olivia Newton John shows up and is all decked in leather. Kind of like that, but not really. But then again, there are so many posts that I had so much fun with - the 'NAHPI' interview was priceless, my first post was fun - all of them.

There seems to be an undercurrent of humor in the blog. Is it intentional or is it just a bit of Sam showing through?
I would say that I am a pretty humorous guy, and the humor is what kind of differentiates this blog from all the thousands of indie music blogs out there. It makes it more personal and easy to read.

Overall this blog is well written. Do you like writing or is it (and English class in general) something to be endured?
I love to write. Writing is the best. Write write right. My favorite.

You play a mean guitar. Is that your favorite instrument?
I have no favorite instrument - I play whatever I can. The guitar is just what I am best at!

How long have you been playing guitar?
Oh, how 'bout 7 years.

What other instruments do you play?
Banjo, keyboard, I can sing, bongo drums, some bass lines... once again - whatever I get my hands on.

How did you get interested in indie music?
I really wish I had a better way to explain this, but I don't... I have no idea. I guess I really started with Bruce Springsteen (who didn't?) and that progressed to Queen, and U2. And then I found The Shins which led me to Elephant 6... I found Guided By Voices... it is really a topic on which I wish I had a better answer. Let's just say that I was struck in the head with a copy of Black Foliage - alright?

Do you take music courses?
I do not - I give.

Is the guitar a good instrument for attracting babes?
It is - if you can play it, or at least make it look like you do.

When will you end up in 'Tigerbeat' and other teen girl magazines?
The day that [insert some improbable or impossible event here].

7 comments:

Stephen said...

That was a pretty cool idea interviewing Sam. You should do it again with other blogs.

Leon said...

Thanks Stephen.

Leon said...

Dont forget to pop into Sam's blog an leave a comment.:)

-- said...

Hmm. I think Sam forgot to mention THAT HE NEVER WOULD HAVE STOPPED LISTENING TO EXCLUSIVELY CLASSIC ROCK IF IT WEREN'T FOR ME.

Well, maybe.

Leon said...

Yeah, you corrupted him quite well.:)

Sam said...




Hmm. I think Sam forgot to mention THAT HE NEVER WOULD HAVE STOPPED LISTENING TO EXCLUSIVELY CLASSIC ROCK IF IT WEREN'T FOR ME.

Well, maybe.


Hmmm....I happen to remember a certain someone purchasing a few Drive Thru records the day I bought a Guided By Voices best of album.....

I also happen to recall a certain someone buying an American Hi-Fi single, a New Found Glory single, and a Sugar Ray CD the day I got a Radiohead single in Philadelphia one June 2002....

But you did teach me about the glory of Neutral Milk Hotel and Deep Elm records as well as many other great bands and labels - so I will give some credit to whom credit is due - thanks Lou.

-- said...

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.