Thursday, August 03, 2006

Playing With History

One of my favourite types of question begins with "what if". I like to read alternate history fiction and play games that change history.

One of my favourite gaming memories involved playing as the Vikings in Civilization 2. I got involved in a war against the Americans and the Persians and defeated both. They could not withstand my tanks and aircraft.

Civilization 4 also mixes nations from different eras but adds a new dimension in the form of religion. In my current game I am playing the Indians and my state religion is Buddhism. I managed to make the Chinese an ally by converting most of their cities to my religion. Previously they were more friendly with the Arab Confucianists.

In a game where Islamic Aztecs can build the Eiffel Tower or conquer Spain: "what if" gets answered in many surprising ways.

No comments: