Thursday, August 21, 2003

Sunshine, Books, and Diaries

Sunshine

It was very sunny yesterday and I went for a walk after I got my shopping done. I walked around parts of James Bay and then went to the Inner Harbour. On the causeway a large crowd was gathered around a juggler. Smaller groups were gathered around other performers and artists. On the water the harbour ferries were making their runs.

I looked at a sailing ship called Concordia docked at Ships Point and then went to Orange Julius for a cold drink. After that I went prowling around the bookstores.

As I walked around I kept thinking how much I like this city. I may write an entry called 'Reasons I Like Victoria'.

Books

On Tuesday I went to Bolen Books in Hillside Mall. Because it is a big store I made sure I had lots of time to browse. There were a number of books that looked interesting but I managed to select two to buy. I got 'Understanding Dreams' by The Diagram Group and 'The Gutenberg Revolution' by John Man. The latter is about the invention of the printing press.

Bolen's will host Charles De Lint in September and I may go see him. I like his stories - especially the ones based in the fictional city of Newford. My only reservation is that I haven't read anything of his in a while. His books - as he has grown in popularity - seem to go from hardcover to trade paperbacks only. I hate paying $20 for a novel. I guess I could go to the library...

Yesterday I visited Munro's and Chapters. I didn't buy anything but rather confirmed some ideas for future purchases. I had a laugh when I realized the types of scientific/history titles that attracted my attention. My love of knowledge made me look at: 'Mosquito', 'Fly', 'Water', and 'Salt'. These titles remind me of encyclopedia articles I read as a boy. Once a nerd, always a nerd.

Links: Bolen Books, Chapters, Munro's Books

Diaries

I am adding some favourite diaries to my profile. Cabin-boy is fun to read. I got his diary from Golfwidow's. Picklebrains writes interesting stories. I kept an eye on his site and noticed that he is posting again. Laura-jane added me to her favourites. I checked out her diary and ended up reading quite a few months worth of entries.

No comments: