Sunday, March 07, 2004

Blogs, Diaries, And Other Silly Things

I am using OpenOffice.org to write this entry. Lately I have been using Mozilla Composer because I got tired of writing out: < a href="url">website< / a> whenever I wanted to add a link. OpenOffice.org can do hyperlinks but they end up as text in Diaryland.

Composer's links do also unless you copy from the html source.

I was using Composer to do everything but I find it usually adds extra coding to the Diaryland entries. This can mess with formating and links. Another problem with Composer is that complains if I have too many instances of Mozilla open.

I wish these programs would allow the basic options of html to be added to text pages like Textshield Fusion does. With a simple click in the toolbar you can add the url format I have shown above. The program is a nice basic word processor but it only works in Windows and the website is gone.

Normally I don't worry about links because my focus is on my thoughts. Links can be useful at times. I could write them out like: "www.blogger.com" and let the reader do the work of cutting and pasting but I find it breaks the continuity of my "presentation". Furthermore, some links have many characters. (See the Dialectizer examples below).

I could go back to using Blogger for my journals or I could open a Typepad account. Blogger is free and I have several blogs on my account. The program seems more stable and there more features than before but archives are still in date format. I like the way Diaryland handles archives. I also like the way Diaryland builds community. IF I left for another hosted free site I would probably go to Diary – x, or Live Journal. But, I am not leaving yet. This is my cyber cottage. (Complete with eccentric neighbours).

---

Now that my thoughts have been worked out I can turn to the silly stuff. The Dialectizer is a weird program that translates your web page into different dialects. Here is what Firemind looks like in "Redneck":

http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect
=redneck&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiremind.diaryland.com

(Note the ugly long code.)

Here is the Jive version.

---

Well that's all for this morning. I am off to play a game.

No comments: