Thursday, March 25, 2004

Sleep 101 / Flying

Sleep 101

Lately I have felt as if I was cramming for an exam in 'Dream Interpretation'. I certainly got enough sleep and dreaming was a side benefit. It's odd that my body can sometimes enter hibernation mode and refuse to get excited about anything except a pillow and a comforter. I used to blame everything on depression but that is only part of the issue. Part of the problem is having too much time on my hands. Furthermore, I structure my life as I see fit if I have no commitments.

My body has always perked up at sundown. If I am tired I will often wake up and think: 'I am too tired to do anything tonight' and fall asleep. I wonder if I can be declared a hopeless eccentric?

Flying

I don't interpret dreams very often but I like remembering vivid ones. One odd aspect of my dreams occurred again Tuesday night.

I have a slight fear of heights that manifests itself as a tightening of stomach muscles and a shiver. I feel this even in my sleep when I dream about high places. Tuesday night's dream had me climb to the top of a rocky hill with some other people. When we reached the top my stomach was aflutter and I hoped for an easy descent on the other side. Unfortunately the other side was as shear as the side we had ascended. The others started to climb down and I said 'The hell with it' and swan dived into the air. I then flew all the way to my destination.

I love finding myself in a dream and realizing (as I wake up) that I have been flying. I have no fear and relish the freedom of movement. How's that for a person who dislikes heights?

No comments: