Thursday, March 25, 2004

Book Fever

Going into bookstores can be hazardous to your economic health. Once again I was proactive (impulsive?) and bought books before I was ready to read them. I bought two books that caught my eye a while ago. One I have at home and one should be here in a week or so. The reason I bought them was that I have been 'devouring' books lately (even more than usual).

I am reading two nonfiction books right now. I read most of 'You Can Write For Magazines' last year but got sidetracked for a number of reasons. I restarted it last weekend and have finished half of it. It is written by Greg Daugherty.

After reading the first few chapters of 'The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference'; I jumped around in the book reading topics that interested me. I decided to 'behave myself' and read it cover to cover after I finished 'The Inquisition'.

The nonfiction books haven't been boring or dry. My mind is so productive lately that one book can't cover all of the mental ideas that I am dealing with. I think that my volunteer work, my 'work blogs' and this journal all encourage thought and expression. Sometimes this means that it is more important to write about ideas rather than to read about them. Either I must stop reading nonfiction for a while or find a way to adapt. So far I am adapting.

My fiction reading hasn't been affected the same way. Sometimes when I am on a 'Fantasy kick' I can't read SF (and vice versa). However my 'kick' is nonfiction right now so I haven't had to set a book aside. Another factor is the quality of fiction I have been reading. I finished 'Mind Changer' by James White on the 20th and I really enjoyed it. Right now I am rereading 'On' by Adam Roberts. I will have to visit the used bookstores for fiction in the next few days.

No comments: