Friday, March 26, 2004

Dear James White

I guess you could call this a fan letter if you like. I may have actually sent it to you if you were still alive. In a way it is a review of your novel 'Mind Changer' and your work in general.

Reading 'Mind Changer' was a joy in part because it dealt with Major O'Mara - the Chief Psychologist of the largest hospital in the galaxy. Thinking about O'Mara reminded me of how many years your books have been a part of my life. The first 'Sector General' story I read was 'Medic' which featured O'Mara. I read this in high school - over twenty years ago!

'Mind Changer' was interesting because you made your characters 'real'. Even your wildest aliens always act like real people. They have feelings, and opinions, and they struggle with important issues. This is one of the things I have always liked about your stories.

Like real people your characters do not remain static. In 'Mind Changer' we glimpse into the past and see each character as they were then. We see events from O'Mara's viewpoint that help explain certain aspects of other characters. In the 'present' we reconnect with favourite characters and see how they have evolved.

A 'Sector General' story usually has a medical mystery to solve. 'Mind Changer' follows tradition and presents a nice puzzle.

A good story should make a reader go 'aha' or 'wow' when he or she finds out some previously hidden tidbit about a character. 'Mind Changer' made me do that. Thanks for satisfying my 'need to know' with something unforeseen but 'obvious' in hindsight. A good surprise in a book or series is wonderful for a reader.

As a reviewer I will say that the events in 'Mind Changer' can be enjoyed by readers who have never read a 'Sector General' story. As a fan I would say that the new revelations are more delightful if one has read earlier stories. The choice is up to the reader.

Thank you for aliens that make sense and characters that seem real. Thank you for reminding us that if different alien species can get along maybe we can too. Some people could learn a lot about humanity by studying your aliens.

I will wrap up by mentioning two facts. I am the only person who lists you as a favourite author at 'Diaryland' but hopefully one of my readers may become 'enlightened'. I found a website about you that others may find interesting.

That is all I wanted to say at this time. I shall continue to explore your books and short stories.

Yours Truly,

firemind

No comments: