Saturday, May 29, 2004

My Name Is Firemind

When I started this journal at the original site I decided to use a pseudonym. The reasons for this were varied but it was mainly to give me some privacy. Writing as Firemind became a way to insure that I didn't write anything I would later regret. So far this has proved successful.

As I began to experiment with different journals I decided to use my real name to highlight my editing experience. As I continued to write here I would refer to my "work blogs" but never link to them. Keeping this blog private was important.

I often thought about this and sometimes I was tempted to "come out" as Firemind to my friends and to talk about my various projects here. I have begun this process but sometimes I don't find it easy.

When people meet me in person they form impressions based on many factors. Sometimes I am Leon, or the son of..., the brother of..., the volunteer at..., and so on. They have just met me but I already 'carry baggage'. When people meet Firemind they do so through my writing. This is the first time I have been able to really reach people through my writing.

If I were to introduce myself in person I would say "Hello, my name is Firemind. I write about books, writing, online journals, and anything else that catches my fancy. I tend to write in the evenings or the early hours of the morning. I try to write everyday but I sometimes can't. Come along and read me. You may enjoy yourself".

My name is Firemind and my mind burns with ideas.