Saturday, June 05, 2004

Another White Rabbit Day

I met a friend for Dim Sum and was 15 minutes late. This was the first time he has expressed anger over my tardiness. I didn't apologize, or make an excuse, or say it wouldn't happen again. I heard what he said. I was late. I am almost always late.

After a moment of reflection, I broke the silence, and things went back to normal. But...

I have been ready to write about this issue for a while now. This isn't a new concept for me. I deal with it by making fun of it. I am the white bunny looking at a watch crying, “I'm late, I'm late!”

I understand time intellectually but not emotionally. I am the stereotypical late person. I am the one who discovers that he is early and then uses the time so well that he gets sidetracked and ends up late. I am the one who prepares for an event and arrives a day early or a day late. I am one of those who would be diagnosed with TMD (Time Mismanagement Disorder) if it was a recognized disease. I am chronognostically challenged.

Life can be weird for me. I have an electric face watch. This causes me endless problems. Sometimes I wake up and my biological clock has stopped. My watch tells me the time but I have to turn on my computer to find out the day and date.

I have held positions where timing was important. Things had to be done a certain way at certain times. Jobs like this haven't killed me. When the pressure is off my 'survival clock' shuts down.

This issue won't go away. I will continue to deal with it as best I can.

I wonder if I should get a bunny costume?

3 comments:

Maktaaq said...

Oh, I am also chronically late. Luckily my good friends are also of my persuasion. Nowadays when I phone them to let them know I'll be late - cell phones have a use after all - they say "Oh, good because we're late too."

Anonymous said...

At last another who understands! My close friends are all sticklers for time management.

Anonymous said...

The last was from me - firemind