Monday, August 02, 2004

Dinner Drinks

When it comes to having beverages with meals I tend to be conservative. I will drink milk , tea, or orange juice occasionally, but I tend to stick to water and coffee.

Finding what I could and would drink at meals has been a learning process. As different drinks caused me stomach problems I stopped having them at mealtimes. I hated having a stomach ache due to a drink and missing out on good food. I also hated the false sense of fullness drinks like pop or beer give me. Feeling 'full' I would leave the table only to find myself hungry a short while later.

I eventually learned what I could drink at meals and adapted. The only beverage I hated giving up was apple juice. It is one of the best thirst quenchers around when it is cold. It is however, one of the few drinks that can cause me pain. I get bloated so fast and I feel rotten. It doesn't matter how much I drink or whether I have it with food or without. Apple juice is a problem. I learned to treat it like alcohol and consume it carefully, if at all.

Drinks seem bonded to certain foods. Good examples include: Chinese tea and Dim Sum; tea and crumpets; and milk and cookies. A person isn't obligated to honour that bond however.

A dinner drink should complement a meal. A dinner drink should make the diner comfortable. Milk and coffee help me enjoy my food. They are my preferred drinks.



This is another post for the Online Potluck.

No comments: