Thursday, September 02, 2004

Blogging For Luke 2

It is odd when a statistic becomes a real person. I wasn't sure if the blog How is Luke Doing was a scam or not. I read the blog again and read all of the comments. I checked names of pastors and found some correlation with the commenters. I could see many people opening Blogger accounts to respond to the family. I 'knew' one thing. I had nothing to lose by offering support.

I left a note in the comments and linked back to the my previous post about Luke. Suddenly I wasn't a helpless newspaper reader or TV viewer. I was interacting with Luke's Dad and 'doing my part'. This felt good, but it also felt odd.

I did something out of character and asked a Christian friend to pray for Luke. I had become part of something larger than myself.

I checked in today and was amazed at the number of people that had responded. People who had never heard of Blogger or blogging were interacting with Luke's Dad.

I seem to have shifted into observer mode. Here I can study the blogging aspects of the 'phenomenum' and distance myself from the stress and pain of thinking about Luke too much. I am coping by blogging and refusing to think of this little person as a statistic. He's not. He is a little boy.

No comments: