Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Canadian Reads

Inuit language finds home on net (via Xanada)

When I lived in Northern BC and Yukon I was exposed to First Nations and Inuit languages on TV. It was strange and sometimes amusing to experience such things as an Inuit rock/country band singing covers (in Inuktitut) of the Beatles or Stompin' Tom Connors.

It is a great idea to get Internet access in all Canadian languages. Our bilingual country is really multilingual in certain areas. In Victoria I can get government service in English, French, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Punjabi, Hindi, and others.

I read that literacy and integration was hampered by the choice to use the syllabic script that Inuktituk uses. The Inuit in Greenland use an alphabet based on western ones. Literacy is higher there and they haven't had some of the problems our Inuit have had.

This should make things a lot easier.

(I don't recall the exact details or the sources for the Greenland comparison. I will look into it.)

CBC - Alberta Votes 2004

I have travelled quite a bit in Northern Alberta and some areas in the South. I also have relatives and family who live there. This site wasn't interesting for the voting statistics, but for the social and economic ones. It is interesting to compare official stats with what I know from experience and what I hear from family.

Update: James has written an interesting post about the election.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now I'm curious. What languages do you speak and/or understand?