Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Blogging With Luke

I am not physically with Luke at this moment, but we are closer than ever.

Last week I read that the Searles were coming to Victoria rather than Vancouver for Luke's treatment. I burst into happy tears because I would be able to meet them. I composed myself and emailed Gordy. We organized a tentative meeting and exchanged phone numbers.

Gordy and I had a nice phone conversation and we set up a time to meet.

On Sunday I went to their hotel and met them. It was interesting because I knew almost everyone by their pictures and Gordy's posts. I wondered if I had an unfair advantage until I met Sue's dad. Ray and I shook hands and he said, "I read your blog!". It was then, a reunion of sorts even though we had never met.

I remember saying "Hi" to Luke and he looked at me. He was spending some quality time with his mom.

I had a nice long conversation with Gordy and Ray about how our lives changed due to Luke's accident. We also shared our amazement at how a simple idea of using a blog to keep people informed turned into a phenomenon. The ideas and observations that came from that discussion are still churning in my mind.

The evening was one of sharing ideas and stories. It was a relaxing and uplifting experience.

When Gordy and 'Saiah and Zeke first got back from swimming I felt like I was in a minor storm. These little balls of energy were everywhere. When they said hi to me it was, "Hi Mr. Leon!". If Luke hadn't had his accident he would have been charging around with his brothers. Luke has many challenges to face, but he should do fine. Remember, it has only been three months.

When I got home that night I felt again that this was a reunion. Although we had never met physically before that night; we weren't really strangers either. We had been interacting for month through our weblogs. We are the modern equivalent of pen pals.

I found myself learning again through my interaction with Luke and his family. Thanks Luke.

(Gordy's post about the meeting can be read here.)

No comments: