Sunday, August 14, 2005

Silly Voices

this is an audio post - click to play


I have been wanting to do a silly voice audio post for a while. The problem is that although I perform better with a script; my silly voices are better if I do them spontaneously. I tried to mimic some bloggers voices and failed miserably but hopefully they will have a giggle.

The shorts routine is based on this video.

The 'freakingly wrong' bit is adapted from this video. I tried to say sudramalama-ding-dong.

I can do the voices if I have a person to ask questions. Asking myself the questions tends to make the voices blur together. I am always amazed how people like Rich Little can create whole personas using their voices.

I have had a few funny and strange experiences with my silly voices. I always liked talking to different people and would sometimes start mimicking them unconsciously if they had a foreign accent.

Once when firefighting with three Quebecois fellows I got into the habit of answering questions in poor French using phrases like 'Ah oui'. They got a kick out of it. I was embarrassed.

I talked with a woman at a university party and she made me uncomfortable for some reason. After some time she said to me: "Do you realize that you have been talking in a Southern accent for the last 45 minutes?"

I said, "No, have I?"

She said,"Yes, you sounded like Jim Nabors".

I guess that under stress my 'Inner Southerner' comes out. Or something like that.

At least I will have plenty of 'people' to talk to when I am old and senile!

No comments: