Saturday, February 04, 2006

Limits

Limits and boundaries are what make us civilized and able to function in groups. Those who ignore limits are usually considered antisocial or even criminal. In large groups different subcultures will have varying ideas of what is acceptable behaviour.

Limits work with individuals too. We know how much noise our children can make before we get angry. We know when it's "time" to go home from the party. Where we have problems is adapting to the limits of friends and family.

I tend to "push the envelope" a bit with friends. I don't do it to be mean. I tend to just play with ideas and try to provoke a little laughter. My friends learn to say when they have had enough. I usually reach my limit before they reach their's.

Understanding limits is a process that is based on communication. If one person doesn't speak up then the other won't know that a limit has been reached. Understanding limits builds trust and allows a relationship to grow. Respecting limits is what allows relationships to last.

No comments: