Saturday, February 18, 2006

Perspective

I got a phone call from a friend tonight. We talked about this last month and he had lots to say. I value his insight and listen to him. His perspective was as refreshing as usual, and as frustrating as usual. I learned a lot and was quite thoughtful afterwards.

Getting some perspective has been difficult lately. I have been busy and I was ill at the same time. I would wake up and take care of what needed to be done. Then I would let myself feel whatever emotions needed cleansing and then sleep. Not every day was painful but being tied down by necessity and illness seemed to be slowly smothering me. I reacted by reaching out to my friends and coworkers. It worked and I made it through my cold and depression.

I was starting to gain some perspective before my friend called. He helped clarify things. Now I need to think about changes I want to make in my life. I need reasonable, attainable, changes that will build on what I have learned.

One benefit I have to making change is my age. I have my experience and learned skills to help me. Mistakes have taught me well. I may wish for fantasy sometimes but need reality. I have worked so hard to get where I am.

So I sit contemplating my new perspective and think about change.

Why do friends have to be so damn right sometimes?

3 comments:

Fin said...

Well I know how you feel about being ill!

Anonymous said...

Perspective is good. Friends are good, ney great, and change ... well the jury is still out on change, but if it works for you then AMEN!
That said, what I read between the lines is far more important that what the words say. Keep on keeping on my friend. :-)

Leon said...

fin - yeah these colds have been around. I didn't have to walk a dog though.:)

LJ - yes it is. Watch out about looking "between the lines". Words are like overloaded shelves and tend to fall on you. ;)