Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Bookworm Follies

When is money not money? When it is in a form no one has seen before.

I went out for supper last night and decided to pay with an “American Express Gift Cheque” in Canadian Dollars. The restaurant (not a small mom & pop place) wouldn't take the cheque because the manager had never seen one before. Later I went to a major bookstore and they wouldn't take it because “it is treated like a personal cheque”. If all else fails I will deposit the cheques in my bank account.

At the bookstore I got one of the books I planned to. I am reading “Teach Yourself Christianity” by John Young. I am finding it interesting to relearn many things I was taught in Sunday School. I am also finding out that my divergence from Christianity isn't just intellectual – some things just don't 'feel right' for me. As always, however, I am open to learning about other faiths and I find Christian Culture and History fascinating.

I didn't buy “The Origin Of Species” by Charles Darwin. I still want to read it but it seemed a little 'dry' for right now. There are a number of nonfiction books that caught my eye and I will think about them.

All this intellectual exploration may produce some writing. Who knows I may write more often.

No comments: