Sunday, February 15, 2004

The Reader's Prayer

I am thankful for having the ability to read. To draw information from mere scratches on a piece of paper or coloured lights on a monitor is a divine mystery some god or goddess has given me.

I am thankful that my parents encouraged me to study and learn. Being brave is taking the chance that what I learn may challenge me or prove me wrong.

I am thankful that I can 'worship' in bookstores and libraries. Having access to books is one of the signs I am living in a free country.

I am thankful that I can choose what to read or not to read. Not every book is right for me. But some books are 'made' for me and I relish finding them.

Grant me the courage to experiment, and the wisdom to know when not to.

Help me be an example for new readers.

Give me the strength to part with my 'treasures' if they would serve another better than me.

--

Blessed is the bookworm for it takes a chance when it tastes the fruit of knowledge. Some bites may be sour but those sweet ones are heavenly.

--

(c) firemind 2004

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting.