Sunday, February 15, 2004

Reviewing Firemind

I noticed when updating my profile today that I had passed the 75 entry mark. (WOO HOO!)

I got to thinking about what type of diary this is and how I feel about it. I will return to this off and on in the near future.

I decided to poke around and spot read entries and check out some of the links (other than those on my 'Links' page). If I were to summarize this diary I would say it's about “books, computers, writing and other stuff” - with me being part of the 'other stuff'.

I would classify it as a diary more than a weblog because it is focused inward to my thoughts and ideas rather than outward to external sites. Links are fun and can help me express feelings and ideas. External Links in my diary can be an excellent way to help a reader relate to what I am saying. They can save me paraphrasing something that has been said better by someone else. When links become broken, however, they can leave contextual gaps in the diary entry.

I would classify this as a “Creative Diary” rather than a “Daily Diary” or “Therapy Diary”. It focuses more on ideas and creative pursuits than my day to day affairs or on my dealing with problems by writing them out. This isn't absolute of course because my ideas develop as a result of my relationship to reality and how I well I handle that relationship. Adding a bit of context to my entries helps keep me focused and may lead to more ideas later.

I like my diary. It is developing as “planned” and keeps me busy. The ideas worked out here will help when I plan the “Online Diaries” section of my journaling workshop. (My major decision in relationship to the workshop is whether to include this diary as an example. Is that too personal? That is something to think about).

No comments: