Saturday, July 03, 2004

Masks 2 (A Little More About Me)

When I was a child I liked playing cowboy. I thought that real cowboys didn't wear glasses so I would take mine off. This irritated my mother because I had already had the first of many eye operations and I was supposed to keep my glasses on. Mother and I continued to have a difference of opinion until I saw a Western that changed everything. I don't remember the name but it starred Jimmy Stewart and he wore glasses! After seeing that show I always wore my glasses when I played cowboy.



I was a member of a bike gang when I was twelve. We rode bicycles and carried broom handles. We we too well behaved to get into trouble.


When I attended High School I volunteered in the Biology Lab. One day I walked into a classroom with a foot long Garter Snake coiling around my fingers. A girl began to gasp and the teacher said, "She's afraid of snakes. Take it away." I thought the girl was weird. She could dissect a foetal pig while eating a bologna sandwich and yet she couldn't stomach a nice little reptile.


I drove a front wheel drive Honda Civic. In that beasty I perfected the "Backward Doughnut."


One class assignment involved teaching something to the class. I taught my classmates how to Disco dance. Let's hear it now: "Travolta!"


I placed second in a High School Car Rally.


Graduation wasn't what I expected at all. My closest friends and I stayed sober and drove around all night. The most daring thing we did was tape a banner on to the local Hudson Bay Store.


I travelled to Europe in 1980. While in London I met an American fellow and we played video games until the place closed. The Underground was shut down for the night so we hung around Leicester Square all night. I came half way 'round the world to stand in front of a newsstand. Go figure.


In 1981 I went to summer camp... er... boot camp. I thought I would "be a man" and join the army. It didn't work out. I still get the shivers when I see movies like 'Stripes'.


To be continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So.... as a child you were a member of a gang - so was I . It was called the brownies.

Ajnd if you were in the uk you would know that one famous cowboy always wore glasses and that was the milky bar kid

Anonymous said...

Thought the Milky Bar kid sounded familiar. I wish I had all that blond hair. -fm