Tuesday, August 31, 2004

In Search Of Queen Liz

Sometimes Victoria is more British than the UK. We have tea rooms, and parades honouring Queen Victoria. When we go to Oak Bay we are travelling beyond the 'Tweed Curtain'. Sometimes I think the phrase covers all of Victoria. Our city is a state of mind separated from the rest of Canada - not by a curtain of iron, but by one of tweed.

I have been wondering about this lately and it got me thinking about Queen Liz. I wondered if she still existed. I hoped she did because I felt a little jealous of the UK. Why do they get monarchs and we don't? Shouldn't we also have a Queen?

I knew what she looked like because I have a t-shirt with her picture on it. She stands ready to defend us and asks "One lump or two?" I have seen postcards of her washing elbow length gloves and others of her sitting on a bench in front of the Empress Hotel.

Yesterday I was visiting Munro's Books and saw her picture again. I couldn't hold back any longer and asked if they could help me. They were very helpful and found me some information. When I got home I went online and found Her Highness' website.

Now I am hoping for an 'Internet Audience' with Good Queen Liz. I shall keep my fellow loyal subjects informed of the outcome.

God Save The Queen! ... and pass the ale.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's still alive huh? WOW :)

Unknown said...

Wait. I thought Canada was part of the Commonwealth which acknowledges the royalty of England.

Leon said...

You are right Joel. Queen Elizabeth is our head of state. I haven't heard of her doing laundry in Victoria lately though.

Suzy Snow said...

Nice to see someone else who finds the Queen thing interesting!

Maktaaq said...

Munro's Books - I love that place! That place and Elliott Bay Books in Seattle - yum yum!

Maktaaq said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maktaaq said...

Munro's Books - I love that place! That place and Elliott Bay Books in Seattle - yum yum!

Leon said...

maktaaq - it is a nice place. I tried the trashcan feature to remove the repetitions of your comment. it worked but now I appear to be censoring you.

Maktaaq said...

The Blogger commenting system is a little temperamental. Sometimes my messages never appear while on other blogs too many of my messages appear. Sorry about the over-abundance of my repetitive ideas.