Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Blogging For Luke 18

Setbacks

It was tough to update from yesterday evening to late this morning. It turns out that there were problems with the Blogspot (my host) servers. Status Blogger has an explanation. It was frustrating for everyone. The system is working fine now.

There is an update at How is Luke Doing.

Exposure

One side effect of my blogging for Luke is the increased exposure of this blog. I have been telling people about it as I talked about Luke and his struggle. My blog isn't secret and it isn't tabloid reading (sorry ) but it is my place in cyberspace. I have mixed feelings about being in the spotlight. However, I didn't choose this role. I feel that it chose me. I will probably look back at this experience and wonder what happened.

Find A Cause To Champion

I was reading blogs and found that Supermum mentioned the attack on the school in Beslan. I followed links from her blog and this led me to Mick In The UK who said:

I've been reading a lot of overseas blogs lately, and very few of them even give a mention to the events in Beslan...............as if it never happened.
One exeption is Brent. who seems to be very interested in life outside the USA.


I read the post at Coptalk (Brent's blog) and then replied to Mick. I knew I was on the right track but I wondered what other people thought.

I continued my reading and and had an interesting 'conversation' with Jim at Officially Unofficial. Jim's post deals with the genocide in Sudan. He looks at what bloggers can do to help. I had found another worthy cause that bloggers could talk about. I left a comment and Jim responded.

We live in a world of instant communication and can be overloaded with information. We have the power to help and influence people across the globe. The key is to find a cause and write about it. If a blogger writes with thoughtfulness and compassion people will take the time to read and may become involved. With blogs and the Internet our voices can reach farther and faster than ever before.

1 comment:

Brent said...

The amount of information that we can now receive, especially through our respective blogs and their links, is simply overwhelming. I read approximately 50-60 blogs a day, though I have to admit as of late, with school starting for my kids, I have slowed down. And this month I have contributed to two bloggers seeking donations for very worthwhile charities. Yes, overwhelming, and I can't possibly keep up with it all. But you know, it's inspiring that we all are all there, doing some good things, and sharing the good word.