Monday, May 15, 2006

Laughter/Moving Up

Laughter

I just had a pleasant chat with my friend. We both had some news and some of it was funny. Laughter does feel good. Friendship feels good.

Yesterday I laughed a bit in some other chats too. It is interesting how emotion and mood can be passed on through text to people all over the world.

It is nice to see people happy so I will tell you a funny story.

Moving Up

Several years ago I worked as a Stockperson in a large Woolco department store. Usually I worked in the storage area pricing merchandise and unloading freight. During sales I would help pack stuff for the cashiers.

During our Thanksgiving sale things got really busy and I spent lots of time bagging stuff at the tills and carrying bags to customers cars. I liked it for the most part but it was tiring.

One afternoon was especially busy but I felt good. I began joking with the customers as a way to keep them happy while they waited in line.

I made a remark that was slightly off colour but not rude. A woman laughed and said I was a pain.

"In the neck or lower down?" I asked.

"Um, in the neck." she said with a smile.

"Hey!" I said, "I'm moving up in the world!"

Everyone laughed.

No comments: