Friday, August 19, 2005

Making Noise

Part 1 of 3.

Music and audio are two aspects of blogging that I have mixed feelings about. With audio my problem is that I am a better writer than narrator. I create stories and relate ideas both textually and visually. Basically I narrate to my fingers. When I try to do audio I have rely more on my hearing and speech. While I am not handicapped in those areas I find them harder to control. Another factor of audio posts is that they require another blog ingredient, such as an mp3 player, to be understood. Text and photos are unified and visually based.

My problem with music is more basic and varied.

I don't listen to a lot of music anymore. I have many cds and cassettes that I haven't played for years. It's not that I don't like them but they don't serve the same role they used to. I used to listen to music to tone down after work. I would listen to my 'New Age' or 'Adult Alternative' tapes and relax. When I got a computer it became my means of recreation.

The music I listened to most was produced by Narada. It was fairly expensive and could be difficult to obtain at times. As my financial situation changed so did my ability to keep up with the artists I liked. If they had been pop or rap musicians they would have been all over the radio and I could have kept up. By this time I had gotten rid of all my old rock tapes because I was tired of them.

I have followed some Internet radio stations and listened to audio and music that had been re-released on the net. I haven't really 'adopted' any broadcasts yet. Audio is still a minor part of my online life.

My ambivalence to audio continues today. I don't know a lot about 'modern' music so I putter with it. My old rock favourites appear from time to time and I enjoy some of them. Others make me wonder how I could ever have liked them.

Audio and music won't leave me alone though. I keep coming across music blogs, and podcasts, and blogged mp3s. I decided to put this 'interference' to good use and write some blog posts. I will link to the posts as I finish and publish them.

Music And Audio

Part 1 – Making Noise (This Post).

Part 2 – Music Blogs.

Part 3 – Invasion Of The Pod People.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Audio blogging does seem like a cool concept. I doubt I'll get involved in that thoug. I don't really enjoy hearing my own voice when its recorded.

Leon said...

Hearing ones own voice is weird. Maybe that's why I play with silly voices.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Althoug I have messed with recording for years I also dislike the sound of my own voice, but recently decided that I don't give a damn...so keep doing your audio stuff Leon, because I do like the sound of other peoples voices.