Friday, September 09, 2005

Invasion Of The Pod People

Part 3 of 3

When I started playing with audio on my blog I used Audioblogger and called what I did audioblogging. My readers kept calling my audio posts podcasts and I started to also. This may not be technically correct but the result is the same.

I thought Audioblogger was ok, but wished I had more control over the final product. My computer is old, however, and my headphone and mic connections don't work. I left the idea alone for a while.

I discovered a site called Radio.Blog.Club and thought it was interesting. I thought about using it with my blog but found out you need a website to store the music. I did have fun listening to some of my old favourites that other people had posted.

After Shahid and Sudman did some podcasts I got interested again and listened to a number of 'casts by different people. I quickly found out that long rambling broadcasts by people who mumble were great sedatives.

I am still experimenting with podcasting as a listener. I have found some 'casts I listen to fairly regularly.

Mick In The UK sometimes posts podcasts. This sample podcast has a surprising French version of Hotel California complete with Accordian music - it's wild.

ArcherRadio bills itself as 'the only ordinary queercast on the internet.' Archerr talks about various subjects, conducts interviews, and plays music. His podcasts are easy to listen to and he presents well.

I haven't listened to everything but I may yet. This sample is from a post called Vacation.

Catfish Show is a comedy podcast from Montreal. It is quite funny. The couple talk about many subjects and the broadcasts are clear and well done. The sample is called Show # 62 - And the Winner is... and was the first 'cast of theirs I listened to. It was good enough to bring me back for more.

Another very funny show is 'Show # 64 - Extra Super CatFish Show'.

Mostlytunes.com is a site produced by the same people who make Catfish Show. Each podcast features 30 minutes of independent music. I won't recommend any individual 'cast but let you browse the selection.

There seems so much more to discover about podcasts. I just found Earthcore: A Podcast Novel and found the prologue interesting.

Pick a subject and you may find a podcast.

Finding Podcasts

There are many podcast directories on the net. Here are a few to check out.

CanadaPodcasts.ca - Canadian podcasts.

Podcast Alley

qPodder - gay podcasts.

Making Podcasts

CommonTunes is a community directory of freely available music and allows users to make their own music channels. I haven't tried it yet.

Garageband.com is the service I use. There is a large and varied selection of music and podcasting tools to help you broadcast it. There is a toll free number for phoning in audio posts. You can also upload files. I find the site easy to use and fun to play with.

Why Podcast?

When I was a kid I used to make 'radio shows' on my tape recorder and send them to friends. As I got older I got away from broadcasting for various reasons but mainly because 'real radio' was controlled by business and there was no place for what I wanted to do. With the Internet and some simple tools I am returning to a hobby I enjoyed as a child. Sometimes you can go back.


Music And Audio


Part 1 - Making Noise

Part 2 - Music Blogs.

Part 3 - Invasion Of The Pod People

1 comment:

Leon said...

Thanks Keith. Podcasting takes time and bandwith but downloads, if available, help.